Wednesday 29 October 2014

Style in the DNA.

Interview: Ètienne

Up and coming Australian street designer Ètienne Crea the founder and creative director of uniquely brilliant Ètienne, explains his genius and hopes for the future.

At first glance, Ètienne is strikingly attractive, and when you discover that the twenty three year old is the very definition of "hands-on", you realize that there's more to this Melbourne native than ironic prints. Despite being a baby in the fashion industry, it's blatant to see that Ètienne has the drive and determination for iconic status.


Ètienne is relatively new to us, how long as the brand been around?
Although I have been working on it for a couple of years, I officially launched in October. 


What was it that first inspired you to design? Or has it always been innate?
It is something that has always come naturally to me; I guess you could say it’s in my DNA.


How would you describe your creative process?
I begin with a single element that I explore all aspects of. From my research I start to build a concept for my collection. Although at times it can evolve into something beyond what I had originally intended.


Your work is exceptionaly unique, who/what are you influenced by?
I’m obsessed with low culture, glitzy counterfeit/bootleg merchandise, and kitsch art. I guess to me, what glitters is always gold. I’m also very influenced by the avant-garde artwork of Andy Warhol. He was a visionary and an artistic genius. When it comes to fashion, I believe Gianni Versace was a trailblazer. I love his designs, specifically his opulent textiles. 


How hands on are you with the brand?
I design the garments and textiles independently. Then digital printing, pattern making and manufacturing are all outsourced locally, where I can collaborate closely with the workers.


What's the best part about what you do?
I thoroughly enjoy anything I get to be creative in, however there’s nothing better then the design process.


And downside?
The logistical side of running a business tends to get a little tedious, but it’s all a part of the operation.


In terms of the future of your brand, what do you hope to achieve?
To one day be globally recognised as an iconic brand. 


What are you currently working on, and what's the next step for the brand?
At the moment I’m in the process of developing my next collection. In the mean time I’m focusing on expanding the buzz on this one. I worked very hard on it, so I want to give it the recognition it deserves.


Do you have any predictions of what will trending next year?
I honestly don’t get too caught up in trends. Don’t get me wrong, they can be great, and they drive the industry, but they do have an expiry date, however someone’s intrinsic style doesn’t. I’m more interested in people focusing on expressing their individuality.


And on a personal level, how do you spend your free time, when you're not busy working?
In my leisure time I enjoy jogging, watching television and drinking with friends.






Want to purchase any of this fabulous gear? Simply head over to etienneclothibg.com and check out entire range.

No comments:

Post a Comment